Monday, 31 August 2015

August Challenge: Final Update

This was my original to do list for August, this being the final day I thought I would post how it all went. I do like to set myself a challenge every now and then (I think this is the third this year.)

 It helps to know the target and to see where to go and how to achieve it. Having said that things still crop up like all the In Her Majesty's Name terrain I've being working on.

15 Unity Guardsmen
5 Unity heavy weapons Guardsmen
5 Unity Marines
1 medium tank (this just needs painting)

5 Pirate Wookee skimmer riders

10 Drools with wings, name to come later
10 Horde slimes
5 Converted
5 Horde Squid heads

3 more areas of flat alien terrain like the one I have already completed
1 tall tower for the 10 mm industrial complex.
1 low square building for industrial complex. 

Here is all the new stuff I have made in August relating to my challenge:

Horde Squid Heads.


Group shots.

Terrain pieces:

I put the small one in for size comparison purposes. 

Sunday, 30 August 2015

IHMN: Epiphany

Or have I just stopped being a bit thick? 
Question of the hour, because really its not that much of an epiphany, I can't believe what I was about to start doing!!!!

Basically I have lost track of the things I have already made: this morning I thought I would get some hardboard out and begin making the IHMN terrain I did the drawings for yesterday. I went down stairs to find the large fold up board I had already made to measure the size of the square sections so it would all be compatible.

See if you can guess what I thought....

So slight revision, I will be making 2 round sections to lay on top of the board, otherwise I will be playing most of my games of IHMN on this board, surprise surprise.

And the lesson for today is, always check what you have made before launching headlong into a new venture, because you may already have something that will do.
(/Hangs head in shame)

Better don't you think?

August Challenge Update: Nearing the End

Update on where I am on the August Challenge. Final update tomorrow, but everything plus a few extras are on the way or finished or nearly finished :-)

Here are my first 5 Converted, I think they are some of my most effective miniatures so far and I will be making more of them. With these I have started to see how small simple shapes and marks made in the GS can begin to suggest armour and other features. I felt I learned quite a lot about the whole sculpting "thing" while I made these

However I do feel that the time is fast approaching when I need to make some simple molds to make the majority of the miniature easier to produce. Head, torso and legs should do it, the arms and the feet can be added to finish them off. Will make my first one using a Converted. Will let you know how that goes :-)

Industrial buildings, the larger pair.

The Squid head models. A bit too similar to the Wookees for me, perhaps smoother heads for the rest.

Large gribbly beast.

Alien floor areas, just details and stones to add.