Saturday, 26 May 2018

KOW: Abyssal Dwares V Herd 2000 pts Push Scenario

Played Kings of War down at the Wakefield Warriors Games Club on Monday, our last Monday infact, we are swopping to Wednesday evenings from next week, which I prefer to be honest.

Me and Steve locked horns across the battlefield, playing the Push scenerio, which is where counters are placed by each player and one placed in the middle. The player holding the most by the end of the game wins. Tokens can be left on the field or held by a unit, more points are scored if the opponents are won from a holding unit.

I got turn one an moved up aggressively, my intention to try and wipe out the right flank before turning to the left.

While I set up charges on the right Steve was doing the same on the left.

So while I was dealing damage to his Abyssal Dwarf Blacksouls horde, he was doing the same to the Brutes. 

I did think the Brutes may survive the Slave Orcs charge but I also wanted to have the situation covered by the Stampede so I turned it to face the left flank.

As it happened they did survive and struck back routing the Slaves.

However my left flank now felt very exposed to the Halfbreeds and the Grotesques, both nasty units.

The Harpies which I could have used to cover the Brutes giving me a bit of breathing space were Wavered meaning they could do very little.

This is the moment when all those concerns come together and see the demise of my left flank, blimey talk about a mugging!

On the right flank however things were looking better, the Darksouls were no more, but I found it very difficult to get my General the Avatar to get out of the way of the second Grotesque Horde.

I could see that the Stampede would be multi charged next so moved them back just 3.5 inches to remove them from charge range, unusualy thoughtful of me :-) 

I also turned the Brutox (middle top by the trees)  round to face into the game and threaten any units that moved across the battlefield.

I had a turn to try and get some of my more strung out units back into the game.

Fearing the Brutox, Steve charged his Overmaster on his dragon at him, he would have to do well to despatch him.

Steve's Abyssals rounded on the stampede.

The Brutox survived the first combat with the Overseer and was supported by the Spirit Walker regiment and between them they killed it.

Now in the centre of the field the Stampede took the charge from the Grotesques and narrowly survived, by just one point I think!

Steve contemplating weather to have another Newcastle Brown.

The Stampede hit back at the Grotesques and rout them, and after some healing, I believe, take another charge from the Halfbreeds and a Champion, before Wavering them. And with the Abyssal Dwarves in a poor position with very few tokens Steve called the game a victory for the Herd.

I was amazed, me beating Steve does not happen often, so this game will  be enblazened on my brain for the next few months.

It was a great game which I enjoyed very much cheers Steve.

The Armies

Abyssal Dwarves
Grotesque Hordes x2
Halfbeed Regiment
Overseer on Abyssal Dragon
Gargoyle Troops x2
Darksouls Horde
Slave Orcs Gore Regiment 
2 characters who I didn't kill whose title I am not aware of (help Steve)

The Herd
Stampede Horde
Brute Hordes x2
Harpy Troops x2
Hunter Troops x2
Spirit Walker Regiment
Shaman with Heal x2

Friday, 25 May 2018

Cumbrian Inspiration: Caves...well Mines actually

My second and last group of pictures from Cumbria are of a couple of slate mine entrances which you can walk to across open land. It was quite an eye opener that we had free access across the farmers land as long as our dogs were kept on a lead, there were sheep grazing nearby.

I just found the whole area so exciting to spend time in, it felt like the entrance to so many adventures I had had in D&D or Quest over the years. Inspired to create a diarma of an entrance in the future.

The scene back down the valley from the entrance.

The gate is interesting, why is it there? What's behind it? Or, why can't we get in? What is it protecting us from? 

But also I tried to imagine what the scene would look and feel like without the iron work.

The second entrance, loved the bedraggled tree.

Then lastly the largest of the three, a massive entrance cut deep into the hillside.

The bits that I keep studying here are the rubble distribution, size and type, also the markings, cracks and strines down the surface round the entrance on the wall above.

Almost a Woodland Scenics looking type rock mold above the opening.  

Finally to the side of the entrance were some fantastic rock formations jutting from the hillside, had to make a record of the them.

Not sure when I will get to use these to inform some work, and can't really be certain if I ever will, but at the moment I definitely intend to. I can see a more detailed rubble wall created from the first set of pictures and possibly a diorama of a dungeon entrance as well from these.

But I am aware that I have a long list of stuff to do on other, half done, projects and lots of making for Luke's APS to complete, so don't expect me to launch into it anytime soon.

Thanks for reading :-)

Wednesday, 23 May 2018

Dungeon Stackers: Frostgrave Applications

After having played with my new Stackers, see a couple of posts back, I thought I would see how they went together with my Frostgrave terrain.

So I set about setting up a few scenes to see if they would work and I recon they do. 

They give some much needed construction type terrain and I may have to create some more general blocks or stackers to add to the ones I have.

This is a 2 ft square board but not all the Stackers are on it so they have more to offer.

I like the little tombs you can create with them.

They work reasonably well with the other Frostgrave terrain I've made.

I had fun setting these out and it has also decided me to play Frostgrave more often, will be taking this lot to WWarriors some time soon.