Friday 5 June 2020

Oathmark: Battles of the Lost Age by Joseph A. McCullough

I bought Oathmark: Battles of the Lost Age by Joseph A McCullough the other day. 
(The first plus was that it arrived very quickly, within 5 days of ordering.)  


I have read the basic rules and it sounds a very interesting game, its clearly set out, and would expect nothing less from Mr McCullough and Osprey. I have much enjoyed playing Frostgrave off and on for the last 5 years and this lovely hard backed book delivers clear and concise rules without huge amounts of over complicated examples.

The system runs on a D10 set of dice and your not likely to ever need more than 5 of them at any one time. Troops are organised into units and models are removed from play when they become casualties. There is also rules for characters, monsters (this is fantasy after all) and even the ability to split units mid game, which will be interesting to read.

However for me the attraction of Oathmark is the campaign system which I am hoping will give life to interconnected games and promote story telling.


As I already play battle games like KOW and Saga I'm not exactly sure where Oathmark fits into it all, but I will certainly be trying out the rules with the figures I have and seeing how it plays. 
If it grabs me anything like Frostgrave did its onto a winner and then I will have a crisis on my hands as most of my models are based for KOW!
North Star Military Figures Limited do a lovely range of figures for the game, Goblins, Humans, Elves and Dwarves, very reasonably priced. More temptation!
Anyway when I've read through the whole book and digested it thoroughly I'll try to give it a review in my own stuttering and befuddled manner.
Cheers Darryl

4 comments:

  1. Lots of people on the various web fona are going on about this game of late but honestly I can't see a place for it as there are just that many rulesets already floating about like Age of Magic, KoW and Warlords of Erehwon to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Chico, am interested in it, hence the purchase, but not sure it will get played.

      Delete
  2. can't wait to hear how it plays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May well be a long wait Riot, combination of Covid19 and lack of interest from my immediate friends, could well stretch out any chance of a game.

      Delete