Tuesday 30 November 2021

Terrain: Fountain and Ruins

Managed to get a little re-modelling done on some ruined wall sections I made ages ago and painted up an piece of terrain I was given by Luke ages ago, can't remember who made it unfortunately. (If anyone knows shout at me please,)

All painted in my traditionally minimalist style. Poorly in other words.

I have a stack of fallen and short wall sections to alter, to keep me busy.


Sunday 24 October 2021

Dungeon Crawl Tiles in 15mm


Initially this  project was to create a set of playable, Zombicide type tiles for a D&D based simple crawl. 

As an experiment I drew and painted about 12 cards to see how they would work. I had made preliminary sketches in rough and referred to my copy of Zombicide, just incase you are worried, I never launch any big project without a long time thinking stuff through, (am old after all.) 

So the idea was the cards could be used in two ways, either as seen here a blind deck, cards laid down when drawn so they make some sense i.e. the corridors match up.

Below is a completed dungeon. 

They are quite flexible, as seen in next picture, so can be used offset. About this time I realised doors were going to be a thing.

There are lots of rooms, but wasn't entirely sure if they were big enough for play.

Anyway, full of confidence, and beans, I begun creating a couple of characters to play in the crawl. Mrs Daxio and myself had two PCs were hadn't played in a while so it seemed appropriate to use hem, Zaphira the Dragonborn barbarian and Ovi the Dwarf cleric. 

Set up for a more Zombicide style of play with the board in full view and objectives specific, using all the rooms. 

You can see where all the Undead flats were going to rise from.

You may have noticed that the doors have slight design differences, that's because in my haste I folded the designs I had drawn rather than cut them separately. I much prefer the nice thick dark edge of the cut doors and so am currently altering all the folded versions. Was tempted to chuck them but I really don't like wasting even small amounts of paper.

So about two months ago when I started this idea, I was all up for a dungeon crawl but using D&D monsters and PCs. I quickly realised this would be Warhammer Quest by another name and I don't want to play that any more.
Then I discovered Ironsworn RPG and everything changed...
More next post.

Friday 24 September 2021

15mm Fantasy Flats: Undead

Following on from my last post, these are the outcome. 
I colour them at 30mm as they were drawn and then reduce them by 50% making them 15mm high.
then I cut them out, mainly with a knife, then mount on 210 gauge black paper, colour out the missed areas with black and mount the whole figure onto a washer. 
the washer is covered in PVAcrete and painted then the whole miniature is coated in at least 3 layers of acrylic varnish, the cheapest I can get.

Some close ups of the larger models mounted on 2 pence pieces.

The whole undead collection.

This last shot shows them with a 30 mm original I drew a few years back, to give a sense of scale and size. These have inspiered me to have a go at making some skeletons mmmm.....

Next post I will show what I have been making to go alongside these, so that me and Mrs Daxio can play solo... ish DnD on holiday


Thursday 16 September 2021

Flats: Lower level Undead.....but not Skeletons


Not posted for quite a while now, longest gap in the blogs history, but I have been doing stuff.

Mainly drawing flats at the moment. We have a weeks holiday coming up and we often play a game while away. Six weeks ago I had the idea of creating a board game similar to Zombicide, but with a range of Undead, which we could take with us to play.

These are the flats I drew to play with, not very keen on the spider, all the rest will do the job.

The backside of the undead horrors.

Water coloured rendering, this is over a photocopy....I never colour the original, just in case...

Will show you what I did with these next post.