Monday 30 June 2014

Modeling Update 3

Thought I would try to include this list as it might help to focus my efforts on where I need to work. Had a busy weekend, lots to do round the house, not much time for modeling.

Da list:
4 Juggernauts with warrior riders
6 Deamonettes
3 Dragon Ogres
3 Beasts of Nurgle
6 Chaos Champions
3 Gorgons
1 Cockatrice
3 Giant Scorpions
4 Ghosts
5 Wights
10 Tomb Guards
3 Wraiths
10 Black Orc Champions
1 Liche

Some pictures of how I'm doing with village cottages. I have made more progress with the bottoms of the cottages, need to add sand walls and then some beams, then paint.

Not all 5 have had anything done to the roof sections, I have cut lengths of card to create the tiles , but this is the job that takes ages and that I really am not keen on.

Have added quite a bit to the 2 character models I'm making, more so on the witch hunter. I finished his shoulder pads and added little details like the book and seals.

  The pit  fighter has had less done, I was more focused on the hunter above.

These 4 bases with sticks in them are set to become 3 Wraiths and a Liche, more tomorrow.

Apologies if you were hoping for more shots of the daemonettes, didn't get a chance to look at them at all.

Sunday 29 June 2014


Took some pictures of my home made Ghorgon model a few days back. This model has been made a while, but never photographed mainly because it's another rare choice that I rarely use. Rares are what let the Beastman book down really. They would be fine at 175 points but 275 is just too much.

Anyway this model is all made from spit and polish as per usual. There are quite a few bits from my bits box in this model, but it was mainly made in same way the Cygor was.

It actually started life as a Greater Daemon of Khorne, but I decided to converted my own model. Who would have believed that.

Will update you on how all my present projects are doing tomorrow, need to take stock before I post.

Friday 27 June 2014

Update 2

Yesterday I finished the 4 ghosts which was smashing, and works nicely for me because there is a very labour intensive period of work that needs to be done on the cottages. As regards the 3 cavern rooms, well I sanded them down and steamed them straight and that was all I got done.
Here is where we are at today:

I have sanded and steamed the bases straight, then attached the wall sections to the base. Cut small cardboard sections to create brick sections from cereal card and glued them on with PVA glue.

Cat damage by Tillie, who loves to nibble at cardboard!

The daemonettes have been undercoated, now comes the difficult bit, what colour? I'm not keen on pink.

The witch hunter has come on quite a bit, modeled chest and armour, attached both arms and added a few details. These bits are a mixture of High Elf and Dwarf bits.

The Pit Fighter, based on a celtic warrior from Warlord. Lots of balls at the moment.

Thursday 26 June 2014

Modelling Update

After yesterday I seem to have set myself up to fail. Keeping a log of exactly what I have done in the last 24 hours since my last post is rather difficult. But here we go.

Firstly, the daemonettes are all modeled, and I also added some more bits to my daemonette character.

Secondly, I cut three boards to start making my 3D cavern tiles.

Thirdly, I cut and cleaned up the bases for the 5 cottages.

Fourthly, did a little modelling on the 2 characters I'm developing.

Fifthly, finished the giant lizard.

Lastly, I painted the 4 ghosts.

Wednesday 25 June 2014

How I work on Models

Thought I would share, very quickly, how I work on my models. This is probably not that much different from many people. I never have only one project on the go at a time. Presently I have six different projects of various sizes that I'm in the middle of.

Currently: cutting boards to make 3 cavern tiles,
                constructing 5 more cottages,
                modelling green stuff on my daemonettes,
                finishing off a base for a giant lizard,
                painting the 4 ghost models I made earlier,
                undercoating character models,
                modelling a couple of character models from bits I have found.


Some of these are going to take ages, some will get completed very quickly. But with time needed for drying or curing it is really useful to juggle lots of different projects. The only draw back is sometimes that I get drawn into a project which gets into my psyche and I find it difficult to stop and re-focus on another aspect that needs finishing.

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Home Made Cards

Last weekend it was lovely outside, so in between gardening, I spend a couple of hours working on my own Quest card backs. I had already drawn them and each needed to be "black lined" i.e, gone over the drawn lines with a black pen!!!

This is where I am with them so far, they may well get more details, small marks to help bring them to life. Also after I have scanned them they will get some colour. Then I will scan them again, at this point they will be ready to print off whenever I need them.

Monday 23 June 2014

Village/Town Shoot

Well this is far from finished, but I thought I might give you an update on how I'm doing with the cottage models and how they look on the board.

Should point out that I have 5 more cottages in the pipeline, other projects have got in the way, and 4/5 smaller shacks as well. Which should then complete the set. I am a little concerned that this is fast becoming a massive body of work and not too sure how often it will be used.

Firstly set up as part of a city:

Secondly as part of a village: