Thursday 31 October 2019

Tome of Magic, its only a file.

You may recall that a couple of weeks ago i posted the file I was planning to alter to look a bit more fantasy, well all the building was done and the item has now been painted.

I wanted to keep the colour scheme straight forward but also to suggest use and age, this is not a new tome freshly printed.

The file was decorated with card from..... a cat food box and cereal box card, sand and PVA glue that I mix together as a thick paste and like to call, PVAcrete. The PVAcrete dries quickly and when completely cured is very tough indeed.

On the inside I had fancied cutting and gluing row after row of Runes, but after I had made 4 sets I decided my neck would not stand the strain. Instead I decided to paint Taoist symbols into the inside, hopefully giving it a different feel and suggesting magical energies etc. If you're interested the Taoist symbols here all represent Happiness, so nothing dark or nasty :-) 

The big round ish symbol I made up, as I did the Runes.

I will be keeping all the maps I have made for my D&D campaign here and having done this one i will definitely be working on some others in the near future, I like the way it came out. 

I struggled a bit with my lighting as I shoot between two shelves, which is great for models as I ge loads of light on them, but not so good for anything high, hence the shadow at the top of the pictures, sorry. I need an up-lighter :-)

Sunday 27 October 2019

RPG Standees... what have I started?

After a couple of instances this week brought Standees back to my attention after many years lying dormant, I woke up this morning and set about producing a few home grown examples.

I painted the original flats about 20 years ago, but never threw them out.

Cut from a photocopy, mounted on black card. a little black lining on the edges and then laminating, was all I had to do.

The bases will need further work, but am on with that at the moment, will post today if complete.

They are a bit of fun and I can see me using them at odd times may even do a load of NPC types flats in future. My son may also be interested in them as they are cheap, cheerful and store flat.

The orc boar rider also fits into the standard base so you get two mins from one with him :-)

If I ever need a horde of trolls I ill not be too worried about finding them now :-)

They are very 1990's in style but then that was when I painted them.

Cut from a photocopy, mounted on black card. a little black lining on the edges and then laminating, was all I had to do.

Friday 25 October 2019

KOW Historical: Briton 10 mm Army

To go along with the Romans I posted last week what would be more natural than an Ancient Briton army to fight against them.

Looking at these I need to do some work to pull the miniatures together so they look like an army. They have undergone several incarnations but the main problem is with them is they were painted and based a long time ago, sometime in the 1990's I believe.

Light cavalry.


Chariots, only two in a regiment not three in order to preserve the correct frontage keeping the game straight forward.


Flanna and Mochta.

The Briton 1400 point army at present:

Mochta MacEalar General
Flannna o' Beara Army Standard bearer.
 2 Hordes of Warriors
2 Troops of Slingers
4 Troops of Light Cavalry
Regiment of Chariots
Horde of Fanatics

There are a couple of special abilities like Fury and Weighted throwing axes which fill out the last 20 points and that's the full 1400 points. I intend heading toward 2000 points at least as I have a ton of these Britons they just need bringing up to spec, so to speak.

Monday 21 October 2019

Variation on a theme: Altars

To go along with Temple model I've been working on for my son, I've also be creating a couple of Altars that he can use.

Have added some extra GS to this model, will point out when painted.

This first one was constructed with Foam board, skewers were added and some card board details. Finally the main structure was covered in PVAcrete, for that stone effect.

The second Altar was really created much the same, but I used Das+PVA to create the cloth altar cover.

Painting next which really should not take long, however I do have quite a few different projects on the go :-)