Saturday 17 June 2017

KOW: Beers of War, practice games

Last week, Mick and I got together to test out our 1000 pt Kings of War armies for the upcoming Beers of War tournament on the 8th of July. And did we have some fun, oh yes :-)

Before I start the following diatribe thought I'd mention that I'm on holiday next week, so no posts for a while, but I will be back posting soon.
Game One


We played a basic kill scenario just to get used to the armies, next time we'll practise some of the more fiddly scenarios.


Most of Mick's army are Morax infantry and Gore Riders which are Cav, Doh.



I used the Stampede to move through the woods, hoping to catch Mick out later in the game.


My Brutes edged forward, into a trap by the looks of it!



The Stampede keep circling the terrain.


Mick's excellent pincer set up drew my line apart and meant neither side were really well protected.


Also I had not paid attention to how close the Morax were on the left flank, deary me...



All of a sudden I am 3 units down, what happened?



A frontal charge by the Brutes on the secon Gore unit ended in victory for the Herd, but really its too little too late.


The Gores hit my Shamen and despatched him.


Then followed up into the Brutes.



The Brutes were routed and then all eyes turned to the outnumbered Stampede. The  Herd were completely defeated.

Orcs:
2 Regiments of Morax
2 Regiments of Gore Riders
Krudger on a Gore
Wizard

Herd:
2 Regiments of Brutes
Stampede
Shamen with Heal 5
2 Troops of Hunters with bows

Game 2


Second chance for glory, I kept my forces more together this time.



Mick split his into two camps, Morax to the left and Gore Riders to the right.



My idea was to crush the Gore Riders first then move onto the Morax.



I had badly judged the distance between the Gores and the Brutes, leeding to the demise of the Brutes.

The Stampede got too close but I thought they could stand the heat for a turn.


Wrong they were wavered, which meant no movement and no attacking, a sitting duck.


Despite both units of Hunters ambushing Mick's Gore, they failed to dent them.



In a last ditch attempt at glory, the Brutes rout the Orc Lord and the Stampede rout the Gore Riders.


While Mick's other Gores tore up the Hunters.


The Stampede was not best placed to face the Morax, especially with 12 wounds.


The last of the Hunters go down.


And with the last Brute Horde left being stared down by 2 regiments of Morax, one in the flank, it was obviously time to throw in the towel.

Well done to Mick, he played well throughout, he really manipulated my troops well, pulled them from pillar to post. 

I will have to go back to the drawing board and think how I might alter my list and consider how I aught to be playing that list, since I'm not at the moment!

Mick made some decisions about his force too, he decided for the next game to lose his Godspeaker, pick up a troop of Skulks and just have his Lord on Gore as his inspiring presence.

All in all a great couple of games and I learned lots from the encounter. Looking forward to the tournament more than ever now :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment